Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Humor of Star Trek



In exploring humor, one has to marvel at the task of humorous science fiction writing. 


It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want. 


Spock in "Errand of Mercy"


Often times, writers claim that humor is the hardest fiction to write. And it makes sense, how do you make fantastical exploration humorous, and more importantly, should you? 


Are you sure it isn't time for a 'colorful metaphor'? 


Spock in "The Voyage Home" 


The appreciation of humor is a human quality, but the concept of humor extends beyond being human. 

If I were human, I believe my response would be:
'Go to Hell". 
If I were human. 


Spock in "The Final Frontier" 



On Star Trek: The Original Series, the writer's successfully included in a number of smart-alek comments, a bit of sarcasm, and a punchline here and there to keep the story interesting. 



Judging by the pollution content of the atmosphere, I believe we have arrived at the late twentieth century


Spock in "The Voyage Home"


Science fiction doesn't offer us a laugh-a-minute yuk-fest, but it does demonstrate humor as a device, being brilliantly applied to a genre. However, Science Fiction, like humor, is an allegiance to a literature of pleasure. Both respecting the mind's imagination, both valuing mindful entertainment. 



The assumption of an incompatibility between Science Fiction and humor can easily be bridged by presenting the numerous humorous quotes in each episode and exposing them for their humorous device. 


Given my commitment to escapist aestheticism or supreme fiction, as well as my having grown up in a Trekky household, I would enjoy writing more on this subject. 


If you'd like to read more on this subject


In the meantime, I'll leave you with a few humorous quotes from Star Trek....



Excuse me...Excuse me. 
I'd just like to ask a question...
What does God need with a starship? 



James Kirk, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier


Everybody remember where we parked. 


James Kirk, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home,
after landing the cloaked Klingon bird of prey in Golden Gate park. 



Do you want to tell me what's bothering you or would yo like to break some more furniture? 


Deanna Troi, to Worf, Star Trek: The Next Generation, "Birthright"



The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe. 



Dr. McCoy, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home




I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know.


Captain Picard to Data, on weddings, Star Trek: The Next Generation, "In Theory" 





Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons. 


Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier







No comments: