Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My Mom is a Supermodel

In honor of my mother's 60th birthday
I have compiled a stroll through the memory lane 
of the iconic hairstyles that appear to have influenced hers throughout the years...

Happy Birthday, Mom! 

Lesley (Twiggy)



The girl who hung out in front of the little green store




Farrah
one of Charlie's angels




My mom's Jazzercize instructor





Christie


and Jane




My mom's hairdresser




Jennifer





Jennifer (again)




Tina





Meryl





Christie





Linda






Meryl


History


My grandmother was a gorgeous woman who looked like this when she was young...




She named my mother after an equally gorgeous supermodel of the 1950s, Mary Jane Russell, a favorite of Louise Dahl-Wolfe and Irving Penn



My mother lived up to her namesake and began modeling as a baby. 
She was the runner up for a 1952 Gerber baby contest. 


As a teenager in the 60s, 
my mom "cruised the strip" (10th Street between G and K Streets)
although I'm not certain that my grandmother knew about this???



Growing up in the 1970s with a beautiful mother who appeared on television advertisements
was VERY cool!


and lucrative...

many of my teachers, over the years, wanted to date my mom
which made negotiating my grades
a far easier task

 ڿڰۣ  


Admittedly,
a few may have been disappointed
when they discovered that I was not directly involved 
in my negotiating my mother's dating life



Nevertheless, we moved on
and Mom stayed in great shape with running and Jazzercise! 


Once my brother and I were slightly more self-sufficient
My mom took up toll painting



and then oil painting


My home is filled with my mother's beautiful oil paintings

 ڿڰۣ  

They are my most prized artifacts



I'm proud to say that my mother has provided support, encouragement, and compassion to many people battling cancer...

 ڿڰۣ  

And has dedicated the better part of her professional career to an organization that cures people of cancer, and that works diligently toward raising awareness and finding a cure for a disease that has touched both our lives...



Even though my mom was truly destined for the glittering lights of Hollywood

or achieving her childhood dream of becoming a famous journalist


She chose, instead, to dedicate her life to us


Me (far left), my brother (center), 
and our mom (far right)




My mom is a Supermodel 
on the outside


and the most 
loving and beautiful 
Mother 
on the inside


Happy Birthday, Mom! 



Love Always,
Sophy Michelle


















No comments: