Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Existence Hypothesis




Applying our own thinking to understand our own thinking requires human creativity. If by nature we have the ability to understand, model, and extend beyond our current biological constraints our own intelligence and self-identity, then the value of capturing that essence is of utmost importance.

Given that the particles that compose our brains and bodies change frequently and given the accelerated rate by which civilization is advancing in technological understanding, one can presuppose that a day will come when we would be presented with the option to safeguard our conscious experience by means of nano-implants or consciousness transfer, the result of which would redefine our thoughts on being human and the experience of "consciousness."



As we continue merging the biological mechanism with technological devices, the likelihood that we might also lose or irreversibly transform the patterns we "like" about ourselves increases exponentially.

Reflecting on that possibility, I aim to capture that which my present biological brain values most and place it here (in temporary storage).

I regard these notions with utmost sincerity and am thus more comfortable with the inherent present and future risks of transferring personal identifying information from my biological mechanism into a public "virtual space" than I am with holding onto it in a fragile, 'presently programmed to terminate' privately held biological system.

Whether this information is of value to anyone beside myself and/or my progeny is unknown.

If my conscious awareness can be transferred (without discontinuity) into a self-replicating nanoengineered or other type of system or device, then the biologically derived information stored herein will simply serve as a back-up of that which I consider to be the most salient aspect in my experience of being.

If perchance my biological mechanism fails prior to (or during) the time when continuity upgrades are available to the general public, then this information simply serves as a testament of my existence.

Presuming reanimation after discontinuity exists sometime in the future, then I would like to have it known that I would be both delighted and grateful to be "alive" again... presuming that my children are, too; for without their presence in my life, the notion of continuity in this world does not interest me.




In that event, I'd prefer (presuming again that the choice exists) existence in some other general particle form whereby the loving nature I have come to regard as my own might instead exist to bring value to the universal energie that gives rise to the phenomenon known as life.







No comments: